Saturday, March 5, 2011

Wanna run?

So I got an e-mail from a friend of mine at work this past week and she asked me if I would be interested in going for a jog.  Huh, what...me?  After I realized she really was talking to me, I sent back a message and loathingly said, "Sure."  Let me preface this by saying, I am not a runner.  I don't know if that is in my head, or if it is true, but at that moment I knew, "I was not a runner."  I say all that to say that yes, I finalized my registration for the Cincinnati Flying Pig 10k on April 30, 2011 last Monday.  Seriously?  What AM I thinking? 

Regardless, I have run before, and I WILL do it again.  I have another friend who signed up for the race, too, so it is totally serious now.  I am not about to go down like a fool on this one.  You see, the last time I attempted this was in 2005.  It was around Christmas time and my entire family was joking about signing up for the Flying Pig Relay that May.  They wanted to have two teams of 4 people, and may the best team win!  I thought, "Wow, that sounds nice", and little did I know that I would be running on one of the teams.  And the reason why I ran?  My own mother actually bet me that I couldn't do it!  HA!  I showed her!  (Now as a disclaimer, I know that bet was merely for motivation on her part).  But I did...our team won...and I ran an 11 minute mile.  Pretty awesome for a chubby chick who had never lifted her foot off the ground or tried on a pair of real running shoes!

Fast-forward to 2011.  And I am here again.  This time for 6.2 miles and I find myself feeling that same terror that I felt before.  But this time, I am challenging myself.  This time, it's me and only me.

At the suggestion of an acquaintance of mine, I plan to use a combo of my friend's training schedule and the Couch to 5k program.  It starts tomorrow. 

It's on folks!  

1 comment:

Hi everyone! Thanks for reading my blog. I welcome your comments and suggestions!