Saturday, January 29, 2011

More learning!

Wow, what a difference a little reading and lots of research makes!  I was trying to think of little things I could do to decrease my calorie and fat intake without really noticing a huge difference.  I was reading some information on coffee cream and was horrified at the things I found.  Did you know that a certain brand of flavored non-dairy liquid coffee creamer has 35 calories and 1.5 grams of fat in one tablespoon?  Not to mention the first three ingredients listed are water, sugar, and partially hydrogenated soybean oil?  YUCK! 

This information led me to do a little research on coffee creamer alternatives and I found coconut milk creamer.  To compare, it has 10 calories per TBSP and 0 grams of fat.  Its main ingredient is organic COCONUT MILK (organic COCONUT CREAM, WATER, GUAR GUM). 

In this process, I have learned that not all fat is the same.  A huge difference exists between saturated fat grams and monounsaturated fat grams. 

So to bring this to term and to compare it to my old habits, I can save approximately 50 calories and 3 grams of fat by simply switching coffee cream.  This is per day!  For the week, I will save myself 350 calories and 21 grams of fat!  And that's 21 grams of saturated fat!  And this is from one of the flavored non-dairy creamers with lower calorie and fat content.  There are other flavors that are even worse!

My goal in this whole lifestyle change is to change what goes into my body.  Not just by consuming lower calories in foods, but by choosing healthier alternatives.  I see this as a double bonus!

What swaps do you make in your daily routine that have made a difference to you?

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean!! I used to get a sandwich at Panera and I thought, "Panera...it must be healthy!" Wrong. The sandwich I used to get was 800 calories and had 3,000 MG of sodium!! 3,000!!! I've found for me it's easier to just eat out less often, I have more control at home. I also go on a lot of restaurants' websites to find out their nutrition info ahead of time if we do go out to eat. For me, it's easier to be prepared. I use turkey burgers, turkey bacon now, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Hi everyone! Thanks for reading my blog. I welcome your comments and suggestions!