Tuesday, January 11, 2011

New week, new adventures

After taking the weekend off due to pulling a muscle in my back, I decided to go ahead and try one of the Exercise TV On Demand videos.  I settled on a basic cardio video that lasted about 25 minutes.  I was feeling great until the very end, when apparently I moved my arms the wrong way and then *WHAM*, there went my back.

What is a girl supposed to do when her body won't cooperate.  You all don't know how bad I really want this for myself and my family.  But it is SO frustrating.  I guess I just thought I was Jillian Michaels and went too far, too early.  I don't really think it had anything to do with the fact that I am currently out of shape.  It has everything to do with the types of exercise that I am doing and moving in ways I have never moved before.  Yes, an elliptical machine can be wonderful, and it helps you burn a ton of calories.  But that is the same mechanism that makes me quit every time.  It is SO boring!

So, here I sit, wondering what to do now?  Do I wait and let it completely heal?  Or do I continue to do other things that won't hurt me?

The fabulous news is that I can tell you that even after one week, I already find myself making better food choices!  I just love Greek yogurt!

2 comments:

  1. Terri, have you gone to a doctor? Are you sure you have strained it or is there other damage? You should definitely wait until any sharp pain is gone before working out again. From there, listen to your body. Maybe just lift some hand weights to work your arms in the meantime...
    Also, I saw that you said you wanted a workout that was going to be more continuous, (okay, that must have been in another post...) but think about it like this: you might want to find a workout that will be more of an interval training session. One that gets your heart rate up for about 3-5 minutes, then slow it back down for 3-5. The pick it back up,etc. That is the one of the best ways to improve your cardiovascular health- and overall burn calories. PLUS it is nice if you aren't in the best shape and can't go hard for a full 20 minutes. Sorry I wrote a book again, hope this helped. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that's why we are friends! Thanks for the advice. I would never know these things if I didn't have wonderful helpers such as yourself.

    I haven't gone to the doctor, but I actually feel a lot better today. I want to work out tonight, but I will definitely take it easy on the back and concentrate on arms.

    ReplyDelete

Hi everyone! Thanks for reading my blog. I welcome your comments and suggestions!